Living a longer life is probably the biggest aspiration of almost every individual today. While being immortal is impossible to achieve, there are certain methods in which living beyond 80 years is possible. Besides genes, lifestyle is among the factors to consider to prolong life. If the lifestyle that you have right now is not conducive to health, there is no better time to act and alter some aspects in your life than after reading this article.
To begin with, there are four elements that constitute to a good and life-prolonging lifestyle. These are diet, exercise, preventive care, and mental health.
Diet. Whatever foods and beverages a man puts into his mouth, the effects of them are manifested even externally. That means to say that if your diet consists of meat, hamburgers, fries, processed foods, and pizza, your life will not be prolonged. In fact, as early at fifty’s, your body will start to show symptoms of being in danger. However, if your diet consists of greens and other colored vegetables and fruits, your life will be surely prolonged.
The following guidelines can also help:
1. Drink plenty of water. Plenty means sufficient. For our body, sufficient means 8 to 10 glasses of water every day.
2. Go organic if possible. Produce are fresh, natural, and rich in antioxidants.
3. Stop feeding on junk foods like sodas, soft drinks, sugars, sweets, and artificial sweeteners or products having additives.
The second component of a healthful lifestyle is exercise. However fervent or mild the activity is, the effects are priceless. True, the body and health benefit from weight training and other regular heavy workouts, but other activities may also be contributed to prolonging life. There is no excuse for not exercising.
Here are some of the ways to prolong your life:
1. Maintain a garden. This means regular tending of a garden.
2. Walk for 15 to minutes a day. Walk can be brisk or leisurely. Both are beneficial to life.
3. Use the stairs instead of the elevator.
The third element is having preventive care. What does it mean? It means heeding warning and protecting your health. Here are three ways:
1. Maintain regular, general checkups starting at 40. For women, an annual pap smear is highly recommended.
2. If your relatives have a history of serious illnesses, regular check ups should be done earlier and more frequently.
3. Take supplements to complement your diet.
Finally, mental health is the fourth precept of a lifestyle that can prolong life. At most times, the psycho-emotional capacity of people is very much affected with his mental capacity. Sometimes, too, the mind affects the overall health or welfare of a person. Experts in science time and again advise people to be happy. If this is hard to achieve, alter some habits by having your self focus on happy thoughts. The following can help you more:
1. Indulge in activities that make you happy.
2. Work on your relationships. Give and receive care.
3. Avoid stress.